At Skellenger Bender, we embrace and celebrate differences and are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to teammates at all levels without regard to: race; color; religion; nationality; ethnic origin; sex; age; veteran status; marital or family status (including pregnancy); sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; physical, mental, or sensory disabilities; or any other status protected by local, state, or federal law. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind.
If there is no position posted on this page we are not currently hiring. However, you can still send your letter of interest and resume if you are interested in joining our team and we will keep it on file for consideration if an appropriate position becomes available: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skellenger Bender, P.S. seeks an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Trust & Estates practice group, who will assist attorneys with probate and estate planning matters from start to finish.
This is a full-time hybrid position with variable onsite requirements to complete certain in person tasks, as needed. Typically 1-2x/week in-office on average, but can vary depending on team needs.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Communicating with potential and current clients via phone, email, or in person;
- Managing client intake, opening, and maintaining complete, electronic client files;
- Drafting basic estate planning documents, real estate documents, probate pleadings, and correspondence;
- Preparing and maintaining Excel worksheets;
- Calendaring/docketing and tracking matter deadlines – court rules, statutory, and internal;
- Tracking and managing court filings, including service of documents;
- Filing pleadings with local courts and recording real property documents;
- Proofreading documents;
- Finalizing estate plan documents and preparing client binders;
- Tracking and maintaining estate and trust specific office supplies (binders, bond paper, binder tabs, etc.);
- Serving as a witness or notary for various signings and ensuring documents are properly executed; and assisting with additional administrative tasks as needed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- Experience in estate planning/probate, guardianship, and/or trust & estate litigation is a must
- Knowledge and drafting of basic estate planning documents
- Knowledge and preparing/recording of property transfer documents in various counties (deeds and affidavits)
- Knowledge and drafting of probate pleadings
- Ability to independently manage probate cases to ensure all deadlines are met and filings completed
- Knowledge in researching probate and trust statutes and applicable local court rules
- COVID-19 fully vaccinated status
TO SUCCEED IN THIS POSITION, YOU MUST HAVE:
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to follow detailed directions
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Notary license or ability to obtain a notary license
- A PLUS TO HAVE: Experience using Prolaw, LSS, Adobe Sign, ShareFile, Zoom, Simplifile
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter addressing your interest and experience along with your resume to email@example.com.